Tuesday, September 7, 2010

There are worms everywhere!

Once in awhile (alright, alright...often!) there are events in our life that are a bit out of the ordinary. They also seem to occur simultanously which is generally makes the series of events a lot more exciting. I am certain folks that lead boring, normal lives hear of these accounts and just decide we must be pathological liars. I do understand this. I think if I were on the outside looking it I would think we were a bunch of wacko's too. It started out just exciting, not weird. Unusual but in a great way! We have this boy that is 100% male. I swear Testosterone actually leaks out of him and puddles around his feet. I always believed that boys are girls were created as a pair and were of course different. However, I did believe a lot of the differences had to do with parental and environmental influences. After this fella entered our lives I couldn't disagree more. I do believe those things have an influence but I far more convinced it just wiring. From an early age ( a few days old, just kidding) this boy has been intersted in bikes, skateboards, motorcycles, jeeps, dirt, rocks, knives, guns, punching, wrestling. He was tiny in a little infant seat and would crane his neck around to see a motorcycle he could hear. He has been really early to do a lot of very risky and daring things. At 2 years old could climb a 6 foot fence, balance on a skateboard and climb the fridge by scaling the front. Before his 3rd birthday he could land a flip on a trampoline, perform tricks on a skateboard and climb full size trees. Today at 3 1/2 he rode a full sized bike without training wheels. It took 5 minutes or so working with daddy to get it right. However, within 1/2 hour he was riding the full street. We were of course cheering him on and recording his "first" big accomplishment on a 2 wheeler. After he rode around a bit he hopped off and stated, "I am ready for a motorcycle". Oh no! When he has asked to have a motorcycle for the last year we always tell him you get one after you learn to ride a 2 wheel big boy bike! He remembered that and now thinks it's time! This boy has only been out of diapers for a few months and is "ready" for a motorcycle. For daddy this was a big day! Everyone had gone in the house but me. I was outside on the phone in a fairly serious conversation. I heard the door slam so I looked around the corner to see what was up. Izze is throwing her arms all around yelling something. Finally what she was saying hit me! "There are worms EVERYWHERE", she was screaming. I quickly ended my conversation and headed inside. I knew WHAT worms I just didn't know WHY. That is in itself weird I know.I have an indoor organic vermipost worm farm I keep in our spa room. I put all of our compostables in the bin and the worms turn it into "black gold". The black gold is then used in my garden. It's actually quite cool and sanitary but mortifies some. We have had a few worm incidences in the past so I really was prepared for anything. There really were worms "everywhere". There was just one here and there and there and there... I couldn't figure out how they got out of the bin and literally everywhere. Matt and I ran around and picked them all up while Izze stood on the couch screaming and pointing them out. Ryder followed me around and kept trying to step on them as I was picking them up. Turns out someone had left that door open and Charli had wandered in and had taken off the lid again (she has done this a ton this week). But this time she pulled out a head of lettuce I had thrown in there and then took it on a trip around the house. She swung and flipped that lettuce that HAD been covered in worms finally dumping it in the living room. She took them on quite the trip and explains how they were all so spread out. The puppy ran around in between our legs as were cleaning them up and while Ryder was attempting to stomp them. I am sure he picked up any stragglers. Ryder says Charli ate one but I am pretending we didn't hear that! Even if she did I have learned one thing in my life. That which doesn't kill you usually just gives you the runs! Ha!